We all know how it goes - you've been working all day, dinnertime rolls around, and you're feeling about as creative as a brick. Don't worry, friend! Enter this super easy and ultra-delish falafel over rice recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links. Check out the full disclosure.
Let's paint the picture: fluffy basmati rice (or brown basmati for you health-conscious heroes out there), perfect falafel, crunchy cucumber, the tang of pickled cabbage, and the zesty zing of tahini... I mean, who would say no?
Add a sprinkle of feta and a dash of sweet chili sauce, and voila! You've got a flavor fiesta that’s easier to assemble than a bookshelf from IKEA. This little Buddha bowl is so yummy I've made it not one or two, but three times in the past couple weeks. It's a perfect dinner solution any night of the week.
If you're a falafel fanatic like me- check out this super simple falafel wrap recipe. It's sooo good.
Falafel Over Rice Ingredients
From the hearty falafel and fluffy basmati rice to the crunchy cucumber, romaine, and pickled cabbage, each element brings something unique to the table. Layered with creamy tzatziki and a sprinkle of feta, this falafel over rice recipe hits all the right notes.
- basmati rice or brown basmati rice
- diced cucumber
- chopped romaine
- diced grape tomatoes (optional)
- pickled cabbage
- chopped parsley
- diced onion (optional)
- sweet chili sauce (optional)
Falafel Over Rice Instructions
- First up, we're gonna cook our falafel according to the package instructions. These little chickpea champions are the star of the show, after all. Whether you're frying or baking, just follow the playbook on the package, and you'll be golden.
- While our falafel friends are getting their sizzle on, let's turn our attention to the basmati rice. Rinse it under cold water until the water runs clear - this helps get rid of any extra starch and keeps our rice nice and fluffy. Cook it according to package instructions too. And remember, if you're taking the healthy highway, feel free to sub in brown basmati rice. Just note that brown rice typically takes a bit longer to cook.
- As our rice simmers away, it's veggie prep time. Dice up your cucumber, chop the romaine, and dice the grape tomatoes if you're using them. I like the tomatoes for a pop of color and a hint of sweetness, but it's your call. Remember, you're the Picasso of this culinary canvas!
- Next up, we're gonna get a bit tangy with pickled cabbage. This stuff is a great way to elevate your dish with a burst of color and an unexpected zing. You can usually find it in the international or pickle aisle of your grocery store, or, if you're feeling adventurous, make your own!
- Once your falafel is cooked and your rice is fluffy and ready, it's time to assemble. Start with a bed of rice, then artistically arrange your falafel and veggies on top. Remember, we eat with our eyes first!
- For the grand finale: toppings. Drizzle your creation with tzatziki, sprinkle with feta, and scatter some chopped parsley for a vibrant finish. If you like a bit of heat, don't hold back on adding a swirl of sweet chili sauce too.
While pre-packaged falafel is super convenient, consider adding a sprinkle of your favorite spices before cooking to tailor it to your taste. A little cumin, coriander, or smoked paprika can do wonders for ramping up the flavor profile.
Feeling adventurous? You can swap out the traditional tzatziki for a deliciously creamy hummus or even some spicy harissa. It's your kitchen; get creative! Mix and match!
Want to kick the health factor up a notch? Swap out the basmati rice for quinoa or cauliflower rice. You'll keep the flavor but add an extra punch of protein or veggies.
Store – Got leftovers? Lucky you! Store them in an airtight container in the fridge. It should keep well for 3 to 4 days. Perfect for those lunchtime hunger pangs!
If you loved this falafel over rice recipe - tell us about it in the comments below! Come up with any amazing variations, or have some falafel tips and tricks to share? We're here for it.
Looking for more recipes? Start here:
Falafel over Rice Buddha BowlPrint Recipe
- 6-8 falafel cooked
- 2 cup basmati rice cooked
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- 1 cup romaine chopped
- ½ cup grape tomatoes diced
- ¼ cup onion diced, optional
- ½ cup pickled cabbage
- 2 tablespoon parsley finely chopped
- ½ cup tzatziki optional
- ¼ cup feta
- sweet chili sauce to taste
- tahini to taste
- Prepare the basmati rice according to the instructions on the package.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare your falafel. (Remember, nobody likes a burnt falafel, so keep an eye on 'em!)
- Assemble your bowl starting with a base of rice, followed by the cooked falafel.
- Top it off with your chosen veggies, tzatziki, and sprinkle with feta.
- Add a dash of sweet chili sauce and/or tahini (if that's your jam) and finish with a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
- Remember to balance your flavors. Too much tzatziki and you might overpower the falafel. Less is more (most of the time)!
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
kitchenverve.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes on our site. This information is provided as a courtesy from online calculators and should be used only as an estimate. Although we attempt to provide the most accurate nutritional information possible, these figures will vary based on your chosen ingredients and cooking methods.