Whether it's breakfast on-the-go or a mid-afternoon snack, this delicious plum bar recipe has you covered. Bursting with sugared plums, a touch of cardamom, and sweetened naturally with honey, these bars are gonna be your new jam.
This post may contain affiliate links. Check out the full disclosure.
These plum crumble bars balance the delicate sweetness of sugared plums with the comforting warmth of cardamom and honey, not to mention the wholesome goodness of rolled oats and walnuts. The buttery crust, crumbly topping, juicy plums, and crunchy walnuts give these bars an amazing texture, too.
This plum bars recipe is the perfect easy recipe for busy weekday breakfasts and after-school snacks. Best part? They're super easy to make.
Can't get enough of this delicious goodness? Check out my Jam and Honey Breakfast Bars for another round of simple recipe snacking excellence.
What makes these plum cobbler bars so special? We're letting simple ingredients and natural sweetness shine! The stars of this recipe are sugared red plums, warm and exotic cardamom, and wholesome honey. Make sure to use ripe plums!
- all-purpose flour
- rolled oats (not quick or instant)
- chopped walnuts (see recipe card)
- baking soda
- ground cardamom
- coconut oil (melted)
- fresh plums
- brown sugar
- First things first, preheat your oven to 350º F. Then, prepare a 7 x 11-inch baking dish: line the bottom with parchment paper and spray it with some non-stick cooking spray.
- Next, grab a large bowl and whisk together your dry ingredients: combine flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and cardamom. Now, it's time to add some sweet moistness - pour in your honey and melted coconut oil, stirring until your mixture is thoroughly combined.
- In a medium bowl, gently combine the sliced plums, brown sugar, and cornstarch.
- Press about 80% of the honey-oat mixture into an even layer in the bottom of the pan. Arrange the sugared plum filling evenly on top of your crust. Sprinkle the remaining crumble topping over the plums.
- Pop it in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until your crust turns a nice golden brown. Allow the bars to cool to room temperature before you cut into them. Letting the crust and all that gooey plum goodness set is worth the wait.
Cutting your plums into even slices isn't just about looks - it's also a good way to ensure they cook evenly. Use a sharp knife and take your time.
- Gluten-free - Swap out the all-purpose flour for your preferred gluten-free alternative if necessary, and make sure to grab gluten-free oats.
- Vegan - Use a vegan-friendly sweetener like agave or maple syrup in place of honey, these bars make for a delicious little vegan breakfast.
- Nut-free - If you have a nut allergy, you can omit the walnuts altogether or replace them with sunflower or pumpkin seeds for a savory twist.
- Coconut-free - If you're not a fan of coconut, replace the coconut oil with another neutral-flavored oil.
- Spice it up - Play around and experiment with different spices! Cinnamon and nutmeg would be delicious in this plum bars recipe.
- Change your fruit - You can absolutely use this base recipe with other fruits as well. Apples, peaches, or berries would work beautifully.
- Add a glaze - If you'd like your bars more on the dessert side than breakfast side- drizzle a simple powdered sugar glaze over top the bars once they're cool.
- Go Nuts - Swap out the walnuts for almonds, pecans, or your favorite nut to change up the texture and flavor.
Store - Store the cake in an airtight container at room temp for up to 3 days. Alternatively, keep the cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Freeze - You can freeze the un-iced cake, wrapped in plastic wrap and aluminum foil, for up to 3 months. Don't forget to label and date! Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before icing and serving.
There you have it, friends! Sweet, wholesome plum bars that are as delightful to make as they are to eat. Got any questions or your own unique twists to share? We'd love to hear from you in the comments below!
Looking for more sweet treats? Start here:
Sugared Plum Bars with CardamomPrint Recipe
- 1 + ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 + ½ cup rolled oats not quick or instant
- 1 cup chopped walnuts see recipe notes
- ½ cup shredded coconut optional
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup sliced plums
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line the bottom of a 7 x 11- inch baking dish parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and cardamom. Pour in honey and melted coconut oil, stir until mixture is thoroughly combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, gently combine the sliced plums, brown sugar, and cornstarch.
- Press approximately 80% of the honey oat mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spread the sugared plums evenly overtop. Sprinkle the remaining crust mixture over the jam.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the crust is nice and golden brown. Let the bars cool completely before cutting to allow the crust to set.
- Coconut Oil: Ensure the coconut oil is melted before adding it to the mixture.
- Honey: If your honey is very thick, warm it slightly to make it easier to mix in.
- Plums: Using ripe but firm plums will give the best result.
- Cooling Time: Allow the bars to cool completely before cutting to ensure they hold their shape.
- Storing: Store the bars in an airtight container at room temperature. They should stay fresh for up to 4 days.
- Freezing: Once cooled, you can freeze the bars for up to three months. Simply wrap them individually in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. When you're ready to eat, thaw at room temperature or gently warm in the oven or microwave.
kitchenverve.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes on our site. This information is provided as a courtesy from online calculators and should be used only as an estimate. Although we attempt to provide the most accurate nutritional information possible, these figures will vary based on your chosen ingredients and cooking methods.